- Magazine Photographer of the Year, University of Missouri/NPPA, 1980
- World Press Photo (Holland) "Press Photo of the Year", 1980
- Best Olympic Sports Essay, China News Photographers Association, 2009
- Robert Capa Gold Medal, Overseas Press Club, 1974
- First Prize Sports Story, World Press Photo, 2005
- Best Olympic Sports B/W Essay, International Olympic Committee, 1997
- Best Campaign Picture - Road to the White House, Picture of the Year International, 2009
- Olivier Rebbot Award, Overseas Press Club, Best Reporting from Abroad 1985 and 2010
- Sprague Award for Lifetime Achievement - National Press Photographers Assn 2018
He has thrice been a juror in the prestigious World Press Photo contest in Amsterdam, chairing the board in both 1999 and 2011. In 2007 he taught at the World Press Photo "Joop Swart MasterClass", leading ten emerging photographers in their quest for new direction.
- "44 Days: Iran and the Remaking of the World": the Woodrow Wilson Center, Washington DC 2010
- "44 Days: Iran and the Remaking of the World": Visa Pour l’Image, Perpignan, 2009
- "44 Days: Iran and the Remaking of the World" : Ab Anbar Gallery, Tehran 2019/2020
- “Soul Rebel" Govinda Gallery, Washington DC 2009
- "Soul Rebel" Mr. Musichead, Los Angeles 2011
- “Faster, Higher, Farther” Olympic photographs, Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art, Eugene, OR 2008
- “Managing Gravity” Sports photographs, Kimball Art Center, Park City, UT 2007
- “Traces: In the Path of Hurricane Katrina” 401 Projects, New York 2006
- “Traces: In the Path of Hurricane Katrina” Cabildo Museum, New Orleans 2006-7
- “Too Close” Rencontre d’Arles 2006
- “Measures of Time” Hudson Opera House, Hudson NY 2006 + 14 colleges around the US 2003-2007
- “Soul Rebel” Sordoni Museum in Wilkes Barre, PA October 2010.
- "Too Close" Utah Museum of Fine Arts, October 2011 through January 29, 2012
- "The Presidents" Australia Center of Photography, Sydney May-June 2013
- "Soul Rebel" Blender Gallery, Sydney May-June 2013
- "Soul Rebel" Analogue Gallery, Toronto January 2014
- "Man Without Gravity" Anastasia Gallery, New York June-September 2016
- "Winning the White House: From Press Prints to Selfies" ICP/Southampton Arts Center, NY Aug 2016
- "Man Without Gravity" Inter Gallery Beijing Sept-December 2016
"Soul Rebel: An Intimate Portrait of Bob Marley" published February 2009 by Insight Editions. They include photographs taken in 1976 (Jamaica) and 1977 (Europe on the EXODUS Tour) and remain one of the few complete, out-of-the-limelight sets of pictures of the Reggae Icon. Signed books can be ordered for $65 + shipping (total of $70) A package including a signed, dedicated book and an 8x10" print are available for $ 350.00 Here is a page of information on the book.
"44 Days: Iran and the Remaking of the World" - a photo history of the 1978-79 Iranian Revolution, published November 2009 by FocalPoint/National Geographic Press. These pictures were done over a nearly two month assignment in 1978-79 and cover the end of the reign of the Shah, the arrival in Iran of Ayatollah Khomeini, and the change of power over to a government run by the clerics. It includes a very accurate history of those days as well as commentary by David. The book is available online at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Here is a page about the book.
"Man Without Gravity" - a compilation of sports images from 30 + years of photographing the Olympics - published by Hachette in French (2015) as well as Chinese (2016) -- and we are still looking for an English language publisher.